Thread: Here you go android fans go ahead and get it out of your system

Here you go android fans go ahead and get it out of your system

http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/10/iphone...teem-improved/

Not even going to type out an article. Just going to quote from The Market watch.

Has waiting in line become its own reward?

It’s a question that many retail experts are asking these days, particularly in light of growing evidence that those supposedly queue-worthy deals aren’t always the best bargains. Even Black Friday -- the ultimate waiting-in-line extravaganza -- may not necessarily live up to its unbeatable-value reputation: A new Wall Street Journal study found that items ranging from toys to televisions are often priced far lower at other times of the year.

And what about that other, more recent American waiting-in-line ritual: shopping for Apple’s (US:AAPL) latest gadget? Putting aside the fact that the iPhone 5 has received its share of negative notices (think the new map app), there’s also the hard-to-ignore reality that the phone was available for the same price through pre-order online. Or, more to the point, that even those eager to buy the latest version of the Apple smartphone could probably wait a few weeks without suffering any real consequences.

But that would ignore the real point, say those who study consumer trends: The shared experience of waiting is part of what’s driving consumer satisfaction, as bewildering as that may seem to anyone who’s wasted the better part of a day standing on line at the Department of Motor Vehicles. In this new approach to shopping – call it “queue chic” – time wasted is camaraderie gained.

“Shopping has become a collective event,” says Adam Hanft of Hanft Projects, a New York consulting firm that works with consumer brands.

Hanft and other retail experts say that by standing in a crowd, shoppers see themselves as making the right buying decision -- a concept known as “social proof.” And that holds true even in the face of considerable logic to the contrary; a name-brand television, for example, is actually more expensive on Black Friday than on several other holiday-season shopping days, and can be found at more than a 50 percent discount from Black Friday prices in mid-summer, according to The Wall Street Journal study.

It’s not just consumers who are taking pleasure standing in line: Retailers also recognize the value of keeping shoppers waiting, say experts. That’s because waiting crowds create attention -- and that attention can translate into sales even after the initial frenzy has died down. After all, not every buyer of Harry Potter novels stood in line at those midnight-release events at bookstores.

Of course, there was a time when standing in line had a negative connotation: Just think of all those struggling Soviets during the Cold War era of rationed goods. Conversely, too much product availability -- the dilemma of the big-box era of shopping -- is probably what’s fueled the queue chic mentality, says Daniel M. Ladik, an associate professor of marketing in the Stillman School of Business at Seton Hall University.

Ladik argues that if shoppers believe that everything is readily available to them, they’ll get excited only when there’s a sense of scarcity – real or imagined. “I call it the paradox of choice,” says Ladik.

In the case of the iPhone 5, the scarcity is apparently real. Apple is looking at a multi-week backlog for its new smartphone. But if waiting equals buzz, there’s now something of an Apple buzz backlash. Consider the television ads that Apple mobile rival Samsung has been running for its Galaxy line of smartphones: It’s a campaign built around spoofing the Apple “fanboys” doing what comes naturally to them -- waiting in line.

Ladik, an Apple obsessive himself, fully appreciates the joke, but says the queue chic phenomenon isn’t likely to go away. “It’s a community thing,” he says of those lines stretched outside Apple stores. “There’s no other logic to it.”
    http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012...r-satisfaction
    This is your forum. So feel free to sound off to one of us about an issue you may be having or improvements you think we should make. Thank you for being apart of our forum which is also your forum.

Laugh at the “iSheep” all you want for camping outside of Apple (AAPL) stores the night before new products release, but some researchers say that suffering through long waits with their fellow Apple fans is good for their self-esteem. MarketWatch this week got in touch with some market researchers who provided insight into Apple fans’ curious desire to wait for hours on end in the rain and cold when they could just as easily preorder their devices online and wait for them to come in the mail. The main takeaway, these researchers say, is that Apple fans benefit from building social solidarity.

“Shopping has become a collective event,” Adam Hanft of consulting firm Hanft Projects told MarketWatch.

Hanft also that when Apple fans see so many of their brethren standing in line with them, it reinforces their decision to buy Apple products and gives them a sense of identity as a valued member of an ingroup. And besides, as Seton Hall associate marketing professor Daniel Ladik tells MarketWatch, there’s nothing wrong with people getting outside and socializing with one another when the alternative is to sit inside and interact with a computer screen.

“It’s a community thing,” Ladik says. “There’s no other logic to it.”
    http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/10/iphone...teem-improved/
    This is your forum. So feel free to sound off to one of us about an issue you may be having or improvements you think we should make. Thank you for being apart of our forum which is also your forum.

Now I understand JK so much more...

Sent from my EfinNexus
    GiME EFIN

I have to add my .02
    Just like the lines in the USSR, folks here wait for what they feel they need. No one would wait for a want. They don't, in their mind, want that 100" TV for $29 on black Friday. In their mind they need it. Put that same tablet sale I linked a couple of weeks ago in an ad somewhere and the response would be different for many. I sent the link to some friends who WANTED a tablet and after seeing the price they suddenly NEEDED a tablet. How many get so emotional when their firmware update is 15 minutes overdue? Their wireless carrier made a change to their business model?
    I wrote as a joke on another forum yesterday in response to iphone 4 won "best work gadget " that I was appalled that they dare call it a gadget. I was joking at the fact that many truly do feel their gadget is a life necessity. I think back to the days when life was not wireless, there wasn't an app for that, and gadgets were a luxury.
    My first vcr had this unheard of thing called a wireless remote (holy crap I can skip commercials with the press of a button and not have to get out of the chair!?!?) and had 2 heads, again unheard of to have a separate head to record from the one to watch and was ONLY$150. (took over a year to pay that off the JC Penney card) Front loading had become the norm by that time. My first microwave oven was a full 300 watts, had a digital control panel and ,feature of features, a wind up aftermarket turn table to keep my leftovers from turning into rocks on 1 side while still cold on the other.
    I was 30 when I got my first phone, a full 3 watt whopper of a Nokia home phone look alike complete with jack to plug in to the home phone and weighed in pounds not ounces, on sale for $300 with contract.

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From a Beano
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU
    Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA

Very telling mountainbiker. Funny thing how I felt I needed a 4g phone in the tbolt only to need the nexus because sense was lagging, well I dont need a note 2 but looking forward to getting it on opening day. And what makes it worse is we are hyping up these devices harder than the oems or carriers. Heck why invest millions in ads when you just need to put out a "leaked photo" and a source with tidbits of info. After that the hype wagon is full go. John you remember all the hate the iphone 4 got on df and all the hype the tbolt got. We had 2 different threads with 2000 post based on hype, frustrations with waiting, and dreams of an awesome phone. Heck the hype and talk of the phone turned out to be better than the phone itself. But apple fans are not the only ones waiting in line. Android fans are too except we are doing it via forums. All you have to do is look at my 2 waiting lounges.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ounge-143.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sam...lounge-10.html

Hey Mark, what is a V.C.R?...

Now I will wait in line for a 100" TV for $29... And that's all want...

Sent from my EfinNexus
    GiME EFIN

Quote Originally Posted by EFIN View Post
    Hey Mark, what is a V.C.R?...

Now I will wait in line for a 100" TV for $29... And that's all want...

Sent from my EfinNexus
    vcr is what came out after the first disc player, the one with the disc the size of a record album and they weighed a ton and if you looked at them too hard they'd scratch or shatter

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    vcr is what came out after the first disc player, the one with the disc the size of a record album and they weighed a ton and if you looked at them too hard they'd scratch or shatter

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    We had a betamax, before a vhs, great picture but another Apple proprietary flash in the pan. Sony gambled and lost...

Sent from my EfinNexus
    GiME EFIN

Quote Originally Posted by EFIN View Post
    We had a betamax, before a vhs, great picture but another Apple proprietary flash in the pan. Sony gambled and lost...

Sent from my EfinNexus
    Had Sony allowed others to manufacture the tapes they'd have won the battle, a lesson learned with BluRay. You could pay $6 for 2 hour Betamax record ability or $2 for 6 hours of vhs recording and price wars on blank tapes were awesome. The machines themselves weren't what killed Beta, even though Sony made the same mistake there as well. It was the blank tapes.
    In the end it's why Android will eventually win the battle as well, whether it's a better product or not.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><